

The Federal Government has approved the acquisition and deployment of two communications satellites as part of a fresh push to expand broadband coverage and bring telecommunications services to more Nigerians, particularly those living in underserved and remote communities.
The project, involving NIGCOMSAT-2A and NIGCOMSAT-2B, will be implemented by Nigeria Communications Satellite Limited (NIGCOMSAT) under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy.
The approval by the Federal Executive Council (FEC) is expected to pave the way for the next phase of the project, including engagement with the technology providers, contract finalisation and technical preparations for the manufacture and launch of the satellites.
In a statement on Saturday, Acting Head of the Corporate Affairs Division of NIGCOMSAT, Stephen Kwande, said the satellites would provide additional capacity for broadband, broadcasting, enterprise communications and government services.
The project is coming as the Federal Government steps up efforts to close the country’s connectivity gap through a combination of fibre-optic networks, telecommunications towers and satellite technology.
Minister of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Dr Bosun Tijani, had earlier this week disclosed that the government was planning to deploy about 3,700 telecommunications towers while using satellites to connect more than 20 million Nigerians living in communities without access to telecommunications services.
Tijani said the satellite component would be particularly useful in locations where conventional infrastructure could not easily be deployed.
“There are some places where we can’t get to at all, so we can’t put towers there. But with satellites, you can reach those locations as well,” he said.
The minister said the government was determined to ensure that no community was left behind in the country’s digital transformation, adding that the connectivity drive was also linked to efforts to create the infrastructure needed for Nigeria’s growing digital economy.
The proposed NIGCOMSAT satellites are expected to complement the government’s terrestrial infrastructure by providing coverage in areas where fibre and telecommunications towers may be difficult or expensive to deploy.
NIGCOMSAT said the additional satellite capacity would support digital services in sectors including education, healthcare, agriculture, financial services and broadcasting.
It would also strengthen enterprise connectivity and provide additional capacity for government services and other emerging digital applications.
The satellites are expected to play a role in strengthening the resilience of the country’s communications infrastructure, including support for critical national requirements such as security and defence.
NIGCOMSAT’s Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Jane Nkechi Egerton-Idehen, described the FEC approval as an important step in the company’s efforts to increase Nigeria’s satellite capacity.
“This is a significant milestone for NIGCOMSAT and for Nigeria, and we commend President Bola Ahmed Tinubu for the leadership and support that have enabled us to reach this stage,” she said.
Egerton-Idehen said the company would focus on ensuring that the investment translated into tangible benefits for Nigerians, particularly through improved connectivity and expanded satellite-enabled services.
The project is also expected to stimulate activities across Nigeria’s emerging space and satellite industry, creating opportunities in areas such as satellite terminals, ground infrastructure, systems integration, technical support and network operations.
NIGCOMSAT said the initiative would further promote the development of local expertise through knowledge transfer and professional training in satellite engineering, cybersecurity and other specialised areas.
The satellites will be supplied by Thales Alenia Space of France and Israel Aerospace Industries (IAI), with NIGCOMSAT coordinating the implementation alongside the ministry and other relevant government stakeholders.
The latest approval is part of a broader government investment in digital infrastructure under the Renewed Hope Agenda of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu.
The Federal Government is also pursuing Project BRIDGE, an ambitious plan to deploy about 90,000 kilometres of fibre-optic network across the country.
Tijani has described fibre, satellites, data centres and digital talent as critical components of the foundational infrastructure required to support Nigeria’s digital transformation.
He said the government’s strategy was to strengthen these foundations while supporting the development of digital platforms and innovative applications capable of transforming sectors such as agriculture, education and healthcare.
However, the minister has warned that infrastructure expansion must be matched by stronger protection of existing assets.
He disclosed that a standing committee comprising officials of the Ministry of Communications, Innovation and Digital Economy, Ministry of Works and the Nigerian Communications Commission had been established to tackle the recurring destruction of fibre-optic cables during construction.
With the planned satellite deployment, tower installations and fibre expansion, the government is seeking to create multiple layers of connectivity capable of reaching communities that have remained beyond the effective reach of conventional telecommunications infrastructure.
For NIGCOMSAT, the project is also expected to increase the utilisation of Nigeria’s sovereign satellite assets and strengthen the commercial prospects of the country’s space and satellite sector.
📢 Follow National Periscope on WhatsApp
Get breaking news and updates directly on WhatsApp.
Join WhatsApp ChannelPost Disclaimer
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website are not and do not represent the stance of National Periscope but the statements of newsmakers mentioned therein.
For your detailed news reportage... contact the Editor at Joel2oladele@gmail.com






Tribunal Judgement: No cause for alarm, verdict will favour Tinubu-Bankole Read more
NDPC Investigates Remita, Sterling Bank Over Alleged Data Breach JOEL Read more
Submarine cable cuts: Experts say poor internet may persist for Read more
Opay apologizes to customers, reveals reason behind ‘Incomplete Transactions’ Fintech Read more