

Former Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Isa Ali Pantami, has withdrawn from the All Progressives Congress (APC) governorship primary election in Gombe State, citing alleged violations of the Electoral Act and concerns over the credibility of the party’s nomination process.
The withdrawal was announced on Tuesday in a statement issued by the Pantamiyya Movement, which said the decision followed what it described as persistent irregularities in the build-up to the primaries scheduled for May 21, 2026.
According to the statement, Pantami’s decision was taken after consultations with stakeholders across the state, including youth groups, women leaders, and political associates.
It said the former minister had participated fully in the APC nomination process and complied with all requirements, but was repeatedly denied access to critical information necessary for a transparent contest.
The group further alleged that correspondence sent through legal representatives to relevant party organs seeking clarification on procedures for the governorship direct primaries went unanswered.
It argued that such silence undermined internal democracy and violated provisions of the Electoral Act, 2026, as well as the party’s own guidelines for credible primaries.
The Pantamiyya Movement also claimed that the lack of transparency had already been observed during the party’s National Assembly primaries in the state, which it described as flawed and lacking proper electoral procedures.
It alleged that in those exercises, venue details, accreditation processes for agents and observers, and collation arrangements were not adequately communicated, yet outcomes were announced.
The group further referenced the stance of President Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who has repeatedly emphasised the importance of free, fair and credible internal party elections, arguing that such directives were not reflected in the process in Gombe.
Pantami, according to the statement, had specifically requested details on accreditation timelines, voting procedures, collation centres, and observer arrangements, but said no such information was provided ahead of the exercise.
Describing the development as a “difficult but necessary decision,” the statement said the withdrawal was a form of peaceful protest against what it termed the disregard for due process.
It maintained that democratic participation must be anchored on transparency and the rule of law, warning that failure to adhere to electoral guidelines could undermine public trust in the political process.
The movement also expressed appreciation to supporters who contributed funds towards Pantami’s expression of interest and nomination forms, noting that donations came from individuals across different income levels.
It said contributions ranged from ₦5,000 to as high as ₦4 million, adding that receipts were publicly acknowledged by donors as part of a crowd-funding effort.
Pantami also thanked his supporters, particularly youths and women, as well as party coordinators at ward, local government and state levels, alongside members of his campaign team and media volunteers.
He urged his supporters to remain calm, law-abiding and peaceful in the aftermath of his withdrawal, stressing that democracy thrives on stability and respect for the rule of law.
The statement added that the Pantamiyya Movement would in due course announce its next political direction, while reaffirming its commitment to good governance and lawful political engagement in Gombe State and across Nigeria.
It concluded that the movement’s resolve to pursue justice through peaceful means remained firm, calling on supporters to stay united ahead of future political realignments.
Post Disclaimer
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website are not and do not represent the stance of National Periscope but the statements of newsmakers mentioned therein.
For your detailed news reportage... contact the Editor at Joel2oladele@gmail.com






Fubara sets up panel to probe Wike’s administration Rivers state Read more
Associate Reveals How El-Rufai Completed Qur’an, Read 10 Books in Read more
Ex-PDP Spokesman Metuh Joins Tinubu Campaign Team [caption id="attachment_20507" align="alignnone" Read more
Kogi First Lady Felicitates With Kogites On Yuletide JOEL OLADELE, Read more