

Suspected terrorists who abducted schoolchildren and teachers from three communities in Oriire Local Government Area of Oyo State have opened communication channels with authorities, but insist on negotiating only with Governor Seyi Makinde or his representatives.
The abductors, who reportedly seized pupils and staff from schools in Esinele, Yamota and Alawusa last Friday, are said to have rejected any form of engagement with the families of the victims, escalating tension among residents still grappling with the mass abduction.
Sources familiar with the development told The PUNCH that while contact had been established, the armed group made it clear that discussions would not proceed unless the state governor or an authorised government delegate was directly involved.
“They said they only want to talk to the governor and nobody else. That was the condition they gave for negotiation,” one source said, adding that details of their demands remain unclear.
Another security source described the development as a sensitive but potentially encouraging step, noting that communication is often the first hurdle in hostage situations.
“It is not that security agencies don’t know what to do, but the risks are extremely high. The relief now is that at least communication has been established,” the source added.
Officials have, however, kept the content of the discussions confidential, a move believed to be aimed at protecting the lives of the abducted victims, including toddlers reportedly aged between two and three years.
When contacted, the Special Adviser to Governor Makinde on Security, Abayomi Fagbenro, declined to provide details, saying, “I can’t give any information at the moment.”
The abduction has left families in distress, with victims now spending over a week in captivity. Community members say the abductors are moving the victims through thick forest routes and possibly across state borders to avoid detection by security operatives.
A community leader expressed deep concern over the condition of the captives, especially the younger children.
“We are worried about their safety. We don’t know how they are surviving in the forest. Children as young as two years old are among the abductees,” he said.
The incident has renewed calls for stronger rural security presence in Oyo State, as anxiety continues to grow over the fate of the abducted pupils and teachers.
Post Disclaimer
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website are not and do not represent the stance of National Periscope but the statements of newsmakers mentioned therein.
For your detailed news reportage... contact the Editor at Joel2oladele@gmail.com






Police warn public against the use of ‘No gree for Read more
Bandits kill 5, release 51 after ransom payment Bandits who Read more
Insecurity: Military vows to destroy the cancer of terrorism ravaging Read more
Concerns as UN Antonio Guterres seeks reform of UN Security Read more