

Three worshippers were killed and 15 others abducted when armed men stormed a prayer ground in Ekiti Local Government Area of Kwara State during a vigil on Saturday, in yet another deadly attack on rural communities in the state.
The incident occurred at Ori-Oke Ajaiye, on the outskirts of Ikiran Village in the Ikerin/Ajuba axis, throwing nearby settlements into panic as residents fled into surrounding bushes for safety.
Eyewitnesses said the attackers arrived in large numbers and opened fire on worshippers mid-prayer before whisking away several victims through forest routes.
A resident, who asked not to be named, described chaotic scenes that followed the assault. “People were running in different directions because of gunshots. Some families are still searching for their relatives,” he said.
The Kwara State Police Command confirmed the incident in a statement on Sunday, describing it as “gruesome and condemnable.”
Police spokesperson, Adetoun Ejire-Adeyemi, said the attack was reported by Pastor Adebayo Abiodun of Ijo Ajaye Ati Igbala, who was leading the vigil when the gunmen struck.
“Armed hoodlums invaded the prayer ground and fired sporadically at worshippers,” the statement said.
According to the police, three persons were confirmed dead while 15 others were taken away to an unknown destination.
Commissioner of Police, Adekimi Ojo, said tactical teams had been deployed immediately after the distress call. He noted that a coordinated operation involving intelligence units, police mobile force operatives and drone support had been activated to track the assailants and rescue the abducted victims.
He added that bush-combing operations and intelligence-led searches were ongoing across surrounding forest corridors.
“The command remains fully committed to rescuing the victims and apprehending those responsible,” he said.
Security concerns have continued to grow in Kwara South following repeated assaults on worship centres and rural communities.
In November 2025, gunmen killed three worshippers and abducted 38 others at the Christ Apostolic Church in Eruku, Ekiti LGA. Earlier in March 2026, another church attack in Omugo, Ifelodun LGA led to the abduction of 11 worshippers, some of whom are still unaccounted for.
Residents say the recurring attacks have deepened fear across rural settlements, with many communities now restricting night activities as security operations intensify in forested areas believed to be used as escape routes by armed groups.
Authorities have urged residents to remain calm and provide useful information that could assist ongoing rescue efforts.
Source: Punch
Post Disclaimer
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website are not and do not represent the stance of National Periscope but the statements of newsmakers mentioned therein.
For your detailed news reportage... contact the Editor at Joel2oladele@gmail.com





Tinubu Gives Green Light to New Southwest Security Force, Igboho Read more
Federal govt launches special forces to protect mining sites The Read more
Police nab suspected kidnapper in Kaduna after rejecting N1m bribe Read more
Urgent Legislative Action Needed for State Police, Says FG [caption Read more