

Another 83 Nigerians have returned home from South Africa amid continuing concerns over xenophobic attacks and the safety of foreign nationals in the country.
The returnees arrived at the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos, aboard a South African Airways flight from Johannesburg, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs said.
They were accompanied by two officials of the Nigerian Consulate-General in Johannesburg.
The latest arrival is part of the continuing return of Nigerians from South Africa following a wave of anti-immigrant protests and xenophobic violence that prompted the Federal Government to begin a voluntary evacuation exercise in June.
In July, the government said it had evacuated 1,490 Nigerians in five phases after a series of attacks and security concerns involving Nigerians and other foreign nationals in South Africa. ([Reuters][1])
However, the latest 83 returnees arrived after the completion of that government-coordinated evacuation exercise, indicating that Nigerians continue to return through other arrangements.
A statement signed by the ministry’s spokesperson, Kimiebi Ebienfa, said the latest repatriation was facilitated by private individuals who provided the flight tickets for the returnees.
The returnees were received at the Lagos airport by the Director, African Affairs Department of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Ambassador Haruna Ali-Gombe, who welcomed them on behalf of the Federal Government.
They were subsequently handed over to relevant government agencies for documentation and profiling before being reunited with their families.
“The Ministry wishes to reiterate the fact that the repatriation exercise of this batch of returnees was facilitated through the procurement of flight tickets by good-spirited private individuals, whose generous support enabled their safe return to Nigeria,” Ebienfa said.
The latest development comes against the backdrop of renewed anti-immigrant sentiment in South Africa, where protests and attacks targeting foreign nationals intensified in the months preceding the Nigerian evacuation exercise.
The violence was linked to growing public anger over illegal immigration, unemployment, crime and pressure on public services, with foreign nationals often blamed for problems affecting local communities.
South African President Cyril Ramaphosa had condemned the violence and warned against vigilante action, saying immigration enforcement was the responsibility of the state.
Nigeria’s response followed reports of attacks on its citizens, including allegations of killings, harassment, looting and destruction of businesses. More than 1,000 Nigerians initially registered interest in returning voluntarily as concerns over their safety mounted.
The Federal Government’s evacuation programme began in June, with the first batch of 262 Nigerians arriving in Lagos on June 11. Subsequent flights brought additional returnees as the number of Nigerians seeking to leave South Africa increased.
By July 15, the Foreign Affairs Ministry announced that 1,490 Nigerians had been evacuated through coordinated humanitarian flights involving Air Peace and South African Airways.
The two countries have since engaged in diplomatic discussions aimed at addressing the attacks and preventing further deterioration in bilateral relations. Following talks in Abuja in July, South Africa pledged to pursue those responsible for attacks on foreign nationals, while Nigeria raised concerns over the protection of both undocumented and legally resident Nigerians.
The Federal Government has maintained that while Nigerian citizens abroad must comply with the laws of their host countries, their safety and dignity remain a priority.
The Foreign Affairs Ministry expressed appreciation to the Nigerian diplomatic mission in South Africa, the private individuals who sponsored the latest return exercise and government agencies involved in receiving and processing the returnees.
It reaffirmed the government’s commitment to the welfare and safe return of Nigerians abroad, as the latest batch undergoes documentation and profiling ahead of reunification with their families.
📢 Follow National Periscope on WhatsApp
Get breaking news and updates directly on WhatsApp.
Join WhatsApp ChannelPost Disclaimer
All rights reserved. This material and other digital content on this website are not and do not represent the stance of National Periscope but the statements of newsmakers mentioned therein.
For your detailed news reportage... contact the Editor at Joel2oladele@gmail.com






Foreign Affairs Minister Congratulates AU Commissioner Bankole Adeoye on Re-election Read more
‘Beware of Scammers, Foreign Affairs Not Recruiting’ — Spokesperson Warns Read more
Nigeria, Cuba Sign MoU to Enhance Cooperation in Medicine and Read more
[caption id="attachment_21743" align="alignnone" width="1280"] Two young Nigerians performing on stage Read more